The historic 27,000 square foot clubhouse is set against the natural backdrop of the San Gabriel Mountains, adding to the luxurious private club ambiance. Members and guests are treated with all of the exceptional services you would expect from one of California's finest private clubs. The Club offers excellent tennis, swimming, fitness, and other programs as well as opportunities for golf at the adjacent Altadena Golf Course.
The Club offers members gourmet dining in a relaxed atmosphere, with the choice of dining in our Terrace Room with an outside patio that overlooks the pool and mountainside or inside by the fireplace. Another dining option is our Players Lounge, which provides a comfortable setting for our members and their guests. Our Kids Klub enables adults to dine separately while their children are supervised and entertained. Altadena Town & Country Club uses environmentally friendly vendors that provide organically grown produce as well as using naturally grown herbs and vegetables from our very own Club garden. Altadena Town & Country Club also offers extensive beer and wine lists for the most avid connoisseur.
The Altadena Town & Country Club
The idea of a country club in Altadena first surfaced in the fall of 1910. It was thought that "golf links with a clubhouse would add prestige to the growing community." The following spring, a small group of men met at the home of A.F. Gartz to perfect plans for the organization of the Altadena Country Club. The group selected a board of directors, which two weeks later elected J.B. Coulston president and Col. John Lambert, David Blankenhorn, and Leigh D. Guyer as the other officers. Important tasks lay ahead: purchasing land, constructing the golf course, designing a clubhouse, and building membership.
Events moved quickly. The Club opened its doors on December 28, 1911.
On this celebrated day it could be said, "from the wide perch at the rear of the building the visitor saw the whole stretch of the country, a splendid sweep from the trees of the canyons...over the towns nestling in the hollow of the valley to the dim sea coast where the faint blue of the ocean marked the horizon and Catalina lay like a pale cloud on the air."
The Altadena Country Club's first clubhouse was said to be "one of the most artistic and commodious club houses in Southern California. As noted, the planners had situated it on the side of a hill, affording unobstructed views of the mountains and the ocean on clear days. The Club's new home was 87 feet by 50 feet, built in the bungalow style, with two forward-facing, low-pitched, hipped roofs. The exterior cladding was wooden shakes, which were described as a "restful green," suggesting a subdued earth tone. The building was two stories, plus a basement, and the foundation was cement on the west, facing the circular driveway and entrance, and cobblestone on the east, facing the golf course. Supporting the hipped porte-cochère were porch columns that began at ground level in cobblestone with sloped sides and extended halfway up and were followed by wooden porch supports that met the roofline. The roof was shingled and had extended, closed eaves. Front windows were small and multiple-paned, with both plate and leaded glass. A number of early photographs show striped awnings over some of the windows, evoking a resort lifestyle. The clubhouse cost $25,000 and was thought to be "great, although not so large as some of the others."